Sunday, August 30, 2015

Update

Wow. It's been a WHILE since I've updated this. I'll try to be as brief as possible, but there has been a lot going on. So in case you didn't know, I've been participating in a clinical trial at U of M. John and I were really excited about this trial because the drug specifically targets my type of cancerous mutation. Unfortunately, I got placed in the standard arm of the trial, and have only been given standard treatment. Within the past month, my breathing has been progressively gotten worse. Initially, they thought I was having a reaction to one of the chemos. I was taken off of it and put on steroids. Initially, that helped my breathing, but eventually, my breathing continued to digress. After several scans and a pulmonology consult, the consensus is that the cancer has continued to spread in my lungs. Unfortunately, my pulse ox has been dropping with minimal excretion and they are trying to get me approved for oxygen in case of emergencies. In the meantime, I now qualify for the trial arm of the trial and have started the trial drug, which will target my mutation. John and I are trying to stay hopeful and positive that this new chemo will help shrink the tumors in my lungs and my symptoms will improve. Right now, it's too early to tell. Initially, I was a bit upset, because it seems that all I've received from the standard chemo is a ton of horrible side effects. However, after having several serious talks with my oncologist and John and my family and friends, I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful that this trial drug will help! I should also add, that the colon tumor has not returned, which is good news. I am asking for continued prayers and positive thoughts!

Love and prayers,
Holly

7 comments:

  1. Dearest Holly, honey.....I am praying for you every single day. My heart aches for you. But our hope is in the LORD. I am sending my love & support dearest. Praying the these tumors in your lung shrink asap. Keep your chin up sweetie. God has got you....and so do I. Think positive. Laying it all at his feet. Please let me know if ever I can do anything for you. My number is 616-752-0801.....sending love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Holly, honey.....I am praying for you every single day. My heart aches for you. But our hope is in the LORD. I am sending my love & support dearest. Praying the these tumors in your lung shrink asap. Keep your chin up sweetie. God has got you....and so do I. Think positive. Laying it all at his feet. Please let me know if ever I can do anything for you. My number is 616-752-0801.....sending love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got this girl! I've been thinking about you a lot lately. <3 stay strong and positive and like Melanie said God has you! :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this tonight, Holly. I think often of you and am sending up a prayer for you tonight. My heart is sad to hear of the challenges that you are facing...I am sure that it must be quite overwhelming for you many days. I am thankful for the resources that you have been able to tap into as well as the grateful perspective that you have. Fighting with and for you in prayer tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lifting you up in prayers. .... ~♡~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you Holly. One of Garrett's bible verses that I taught him is "But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in You." I don't know where it's located in the bible off the top of my head but I like to repeat it over and over to myself when I'm worried about something. Maybe it will help you as well. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and thinking about you every day. I am thankful that the colon tumor has not returned and hopeful that the new treatment will be successful. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    Fred

    ReplyDelete